Monday 26 September 2011

Call it INSPIRATION



When I think about the word inspiration, I think about what has motivated me to work hard my entire life, what has led me down the path towards success and what has pushed me to accomplish my goals. As far as I can remember, I have always had one goal: to make a difference. Every action that I have taken has helped me move closer to this goal. I look at all of the children that I have helped through tutoring, teaching, coaching and being a positive role model. I look at all of the families that I have provided support to. And I hope that this blog is able to act as an extension to this work that I am so diligently trying to provide. I have always believed that children should be encouraged to develop a passion and strive towards it. I firmly believe in the expression FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS. And the goal of today's blog will be to provide strategies about how to help your child figure out what their passion is and how to pursue it. But first, I must share a story that has recently inspired me, one that has put a whole new spin on how I approach communicating with children. If you ask me today to link a name to the word inspiration, I am drawn to a child named Ellis Goldsmith, a child that I have never even met.

Last week, I went to the Montreal Families Special Education Fair. I figured that it would be an excellent opportunity to become informed about the available resources for families who have children with special needs in Montreal. What I found were kiosks of people who were extremely inspiring. One project, The Big Blue Hug, was particularly inspiring. In a time when community resources are slim and funding is even slimmer, I was extremely inspired by Jason Goldsmith, the father of an autistic child, who has demonstrated the sheer definition of being a proactive parent. When his son Ellis was 5 years old, Jason figured out that he thought in pictures and began using drawing as a tool to communicate with him. He discovered that he was able help his son attach meaning to words through this method. He has been communicating with his son, now 12 years old, through this method and his son's language skills have increased as a result. He decided to use Ellis' drawings as a method for sharing their story with others, has used the drawings to create a family business so that Ellis will be able to sustain himself when he grows up and to teach other families about how to picture talk as well.

When I stumbled upon this kiosk, I had to stay and chat with Jason. He was selling beautiful and inspirational glass paintings based on the picture talking that he has done with Ellis. I listened to his story intently, asked a bunch of questions and became motivated and inspired. How exactly does one explain what inspiration feels like? I felt a warmth in my heart, a motivation to make a difference and a sense of 'right'-- this is something that I should be involved with. I felt like I could add a new depth to the projects that I am already in the process of working on. I felt empowered.

I believe that all children should have the opportunity to follow their passion, their dreams and accomplish great things. Here are some strategies about how you can support your child in becoming inspired and how to motivate him/her to accomplish their goals:

  • Expose your child to a variety of activities. Enroll your child in sport programs, art classes, dance classes, visit your local library, take trips to museums; help your child become aware of what he/she loves to do!
  • Listen to your child! If your child says that they 'hate' basketball, but 'love' hockey, then help them get involved in hockey, even if you have your heart set on basketball. As Khalil Gibran says, "You may give [your children] your love but not your thoughts, for they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls, You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you."
  • Believe that they can succeed in what they love; be their greatest supporter! Help them build their confidence and self-esteem so that they believe that they can succeed too!
  • Lead by example: follow your own dreams! And tell your child how it makes you feel when you do! Explain the self-satisfaction that you feel when you have accomplished one of your own goals!
  • Teach your child to think with their brain and calculate risks, but also to follow their hearts!
As you start working to help your child become inspired, motivated and to follow their dreams, I will be doing the same for myself. Jason Goldsmith's next training session is on December 4th, 2011 at College TAV, 6333 Decarie. Please visit www.thebigbluehug.com for more information. I hope to see you all there!



If you have an idea for my next blog or would like to send me any comments/inquiries, please feel free to contact me at robin@brightsidelearning.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment